Sunday, April 14, 2013

Carrot Week!

This year SquareFoot Gardening has added a twist to Carrot Week. Instead of sowing Nantes carrots we are sowing any coloured ones. I chose Rainbow F1 from Johnsons. They are Nantes carrots but in various shades of white-yellow-orange.
Past experience shows that Carrot Week is too early for Iceland but you never can tell what the weather will be like. I sowed one square as usual, and one square of pre-soaked seed. All I did was station three seed together on kitchen-roll, covered with another sheet and then wet the whole lot over night. Then today I snipped the groups of seed off and placed them on the prepared bed. Actually, thinking about it, someone once suggested that you could just bury the whole sheet of paper.
If there is any difference in speed of germination then I may try that next.

I also re-potted some more of the indoor seeds. I also re-potted the cucumber plants... I have not been treating them very well, and let them dry out once. I noticed that they have some flowers, tiny cucumbers even, and I am not sure if this is a good thing or a sign that they are stressed. Anyhow, they should feel better in bigger pots.

Three of the purple garlic are now showing their tips. Perhaps that is why the garlic lady grows this sort, because  they come up late? The strongest growers are the one-year old bulbs but the rest look OK too.

No comments:

Post a Comment