Sunday, April 28, 2013

Beans, beans, beans!

The weather is still not very spring-like. Finally got around to sowing beans indoors today. I have always had 4 broad beans per square and that seems about right to me. In Mel's book it says 9 per square for bush beans, and 8 per square for pole beans. So with this in mind I sowed enough for 9 per square - except the Masterpiece broad bean which will be 5 per square (mostly because I had run out of tray space!). That is the plan at least, assuming they all come up.
The Masterpiece and Moonlight beans are old ones from last year or the year before. Moonlight did not do well last year but I am giving it a second shot.
The Borlotti beans and some broad beans called Aguadulce Supersimonia are ones which I bought from a farm shop near Derby. They are Italian so may not be suited to this climate.
The French beans are from a Nordic company It will be interesting to see how they perform.
Below is the plan as I see it. The empty spaces will be for carrots.


Jerusalem artichokes
Moonlight runner beans x9
Broad bean Masterpiece x5
Broad bean Masterpiece x5
French bean Lord Nelson x9
Borlotti bean x9
Broad bean Italian x9
Broad bean Italian x9
French bean Lord Nelson x9



Rainbow carrot  x16
Rainbow carrot  x16



 

No comments:

Post a Comment