Thursday, June 11, 2015

June is for brassicas

I went to Hveragerði yesterday and bought some cabbage plants (and flowers).
The left-hand deep box has the garlic in it, but there were plenty of empty squares - actually, many of them had volunteer potatoes and sunchokes but I pulled them up. I added chicken manure, seaweed and mushroom compost to each square. Then I put a row of Brussel sprouts at the back, one per square; a row of Savoy cabbage in front, one per square; and the remaining two sqares each got a couple of broccoli plants. I also put four kale plants, two per square, in the shallow box.
I planted them all deep enough to cover the seed leaves - I think that I read that this makes them more stable - and firmed the soil around them. The Brussels will need staking for sure.




The garlic has come on a lot since last month, and the strawberries have a lot of flowers so perhaps there will be a crop soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment