Sunday, May 26, 2013

Re-potting and potting-on

We ate the first cucumber last week!  There is another just about ready on the second plant, but the poor plants have been eaten half to death by some tiny brown insects which hang around on the underside of  the leaves. I tried spraying with dilute soap solution and that reduced the numbers I think but they bounced back very quickly. Then I tried submerging the whole plant. I tied a plastic bag around the pot, to keep the soil from washing out, then I dumped the whole lot horizontally in a bath of tepid water. That seems to have helped a lot. I did one plant and then repeated it, and did the second pot yesterday. If this doesn't fix it I may just toss the whole lot out and replant.

One of the key lime plants is rather sad-looking so I have cut away the dry bits and re potted it. The other one looks much healthier.

I was given some more chitted potatoes and as there was no space in the garden I made a ply-wood box, and filled it with some of the molta I bought. Not susre if it is suitable for potatoes but nothing much to lose.

I had two plants of big Italian flat-leaf parsley and I put that outside, in the same square as the Jerusalem artichokes. As far as I recall they do not put out much leaf low-down.

I had some busy lizzie cuttings in a vase, they rooted very quickly and I have potted them up. And there were a few small plants in the aerogarden which i also potted-up so now that is turned-off.

It is still way too cold to put out any summer plants. The broadbeans are looking very tall and thin, and some have sick-looking leaves. Hope it warms up outside soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment