Thursday, April 14, 2011

It is 4°C (39°F) at the moment. The forecast is for around 2°C (36°F) through til Tuesday next week so not much point waiting for it to improve! And on the plus side it isn't actually raining/snowing right now, though it is pretty windy.

Last year I sowed my carrots on April 29th, and even that was early, so I reckon that if this lot don't show I can resow in the first half of May and still get a crop.

I sowed Early Nantes 5 in two squares. One square is in a 12" deep box, under agricultural fleece, and the other square is in a 6" box which at the moment has a cold frame over it so it should be a bit warmer in there. I can lift the frame off later when it gets warmer.

I'm aiming for 25 carrots per square because I use string for the grid and 16 carrots looked too few last year. I thought I should put three seeds at each station since germination may be poorer than normal - in practice my fingers were so cold and the wind so strong (the tears in my eyes did not help either) that the spacing was very erratic!

The squares I used are the back-right square of the strawberry box, and the front-left square of the deep box which I just moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment