Sunday, May 4, 2014

First day in the garden!

I finally got around to cleaning the strawberry box. I dug out all the strawberry plants, threw away a lot of mint and couch grass, applied hot water from the hose in the hope of killing-off some mint and grass, added a wheelbarrow-load of compost, and then planted four or five strawberry plants/squarefoot. A lot of the plants are a bit old and woody but with the extra space I can let runners root this summer and renew the plants that way.
The garlic has been emerging square by square for quite a while now. The white and purplish white bulbs came up first, but now even the little bulbils are up - it will be interesting to see how they do.
I sowed two squares of carrots, one Nantes and one the mixed coloured ones left from last year. I sowed them  on April 23rd and the soil seemed quite warm already.
I also took the potatoes out of the fridge and set them to sprout. They had stored very well in kitchen paper in ice-cream boxes, no mould at all.

Indoors I have done nothing really! I started parsnip seed on tissue paper on almost a week ago and some of those are sprouting and will need potting tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment