Friday, April 23, 2010

Got the timber!

Well that was interesting!
I thought I would buy the timber for my boxes at Húsasmiðjan but found out that the timber section has moved out to the suburbs!
Anyhow, I bought the screws there and then went to Byko for the timber.

I had intended making a box 25 x 120 x 240 cm since I thought the 6" depth in the squarefoot method was a bit shallow for some things.

Then I decided to make one box 15 x 120 x 120 and another one 30 x 120 x 120. One for salad and flowers and onions and so on, the other for potatoes and carrots etc.

I had a very helpful pwerson in Byko cut the wood for me so I paid 11232 kr for 4 lengths of 2" by 6" pine. After a bit of a struggle he managed to cut it into 120 cm lengths so I got 12 lengths to make 3 boxes - the plan is to stack one on top of the other.

Byko didn't seem to have anything like the laths which the book suggests so I bought one "réttskeiðar" for 762 kr and I am going to try and split it lengthwise into three narrower strips.

The screws were fairly expensive, at 42,75 kr each they came to 1539 kr for 36. I bought 20 smaller ones too for 157 kr, to faster the grid down to the boxes.

I still need to get nuts and bolts or something similar to fasten the grid the way the book shows.

The seedlings are all growing quickly indoors. The weather is still very cold. next week should be warm, then cold again. It might be ok to get the boxes done this weekend and then the potatoes can go in, and the carrots and parsnips can be sown even if it goes cold afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment